Tuesday 5 September 2017

A tale of two cities


 “Human nature will not flourish, any more than a potato, if it be planted and replanted, for too long a series of generations, in the same worn-out soil. My children have had other birthplaces, and, so far as their fortunes may be within my control, shall strike their roots into unaccustomed earth.”
- Nathanial Hawthorne 

“I know that my achievement is quite ordinary. I am not the only man to seek his fortune far from home, and certainly I am not the first. Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination." (From "The Third and Final Continent")
― Jhumpa Lahiri, Interpreter of Maladies


What does it mean when they say - where is home? Growing up in the heart of Dhaka city could be a potential winner. Or is it the past six years, in a faraway city of Toronto - a time when my world was turned upside down and yet somehow I eventually found a little bit of footing? Or maybe I don't have a home. Maybe wherever I am, that's home. Maybe it's the subway I am in right at this moment - is my temporary home. And all these passengers are my housemates. We all live our lives beyond this subway ride - but in the minutes that we share together - however short or long - it's so very belonging to us. Sheltered from the world outside. On our way to home.

When the prospects started to grow that I would have the incredible opportunity to go abroad and study - naivety took over. Growing up - I thought my darker skin color kept me at bay from people. My overweight self-thought - I am the anomaly. Or when I was giggling after hearing about my brothers O'Level results - my mother outright shunned that I'd not get anything close to his grades. I deserve it - it was rude of me to laugh without knowing how challenging these exams tend to be. And mind you, my ignorant self-thought anything less than A is disappointing. This is highly ironic given how most of high school, I struggled terribly when it came to grades. My grades were embarrassing. But a little fire ignited within me. That moment and so many moments before and since then - the realization that although I may not be enough, it simply doesn't hurt to try. And if it hurts, maybe the pain will be bearable. And if it's unbearable, that I hope in due time - I recover. Point being, I have struggled with confidence, self- esteem and all those struggles that just makes you be you.

So here's a me that's now on the horizon of being thwarted into real world - what does real world mean? Are you telling me the last 18 years of my life wasn't real? "Sheltered life" - oh that makes sense. Who knows? To each their own. What I eventually learned and accepted is that when you get to make decisions of your own and live with the consequences - that's when things start to make a bit of sense. Suddenly it's on you.

Fast forward and I am in this foreign land. It's beautiful, busy and extremely cold in due time. People that may remotely know you may ask "how are you?" - to which surprisingly the answer is to be kept as a simple - "fine, thank you. How are you?" and you can figure out what happens next. Hint - not much. So here's me - in this foreign land - someone who has struggled with English for most of his life - mostly because all the grammar classes went over my head and/ or I simply couldn't bother to understand the technicality of it all. Just the other day, a friend causally said out aloud - "this doesn't even sound like English" to something I wrote - to which so many memories came over me. He might have said it without knowing the history I have with this language. You know, as an immigrant - it's difficult to explain how hard it can be to embrace something that's not familiar as your mother tongue. It's just hard. It feels like you get stopped at expressing how you truly really feel. And with that struggle - you feel frustration. You feel like what you are saying is so very rusty and not you. And you give up. You give up explaining because it doesn't sound like what's in the heart. What's within. What instead comes out is something unfamiliar. Like not you. But still, very much you.

So now you have someone who struggles with self-esteem issues and inferiority complex with regards to the most commonly used language across the world - in a city so far away from home. Let's add a bit of spice to it and say that dealing with it meant over-consumption of food. Result - someone who feels like an outcast yet again. Not enough.

Eventually things turned around when I lost a lot of my weight - started to feel like maybe not all is lost, that there may be more. That it's worth the chase.

So when I was approached by this person - let's call him John, even though he is nothing like a John, to basically get a discussion of about 2 hours as to how he landed this great job - with the subtle hint that he wants me to eventually get it as well - life flashed before my eyes. Why me? Not enough. Not enough. Why me? And yet with that, came the subtle promise to myself that let's let the humble heart do what it wants to do. Let it beat. Let it flutter. Let it do what it wants to.

I did get the job. And since then I have grown with it. And so much has happened since then. Like how although I have considered the concept of not being enough, I have embraced the reality of treating people with the excitement and respect they deserve. You know a lot of people won't remember the finer details of the day to day life but when you make someone feel special - not because you have an ulterior motive - but because you genuinely appreciate you are the lucky one to be around their presence, all barriers of being an immigrant, being not enough, suffering self-esteem and so many other adversities - crashes and burns. Because what you are allowing is the reality that so many of us deny ourselves. That although we may not have a home, a lover, a proper education, a family, a stable job, a mended heart, a protected life and so much more - we do have ourselves and those around us. And when we choose to celebrate that - and let go of the things that push us against the wall and doesn't let us breathe - much can change for the better. And although it may not be for a prolong period - those fleeting moments of joy and unguarded joys of life deserve everything. Deserves every bit of our attention and love. It comes in full circle. Enough. Enough. So very enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment