Wednesday 11 January 2017

Winter Travels 2016-17 - Banff, Calgary, Vancouver, New York & Boston

Part I

A gondola ride up the Banff Mountains




December 17, finished my work just in time to go the airport and start the trip. Few hours later, I was literally amid the mountains of Banff with the help and company of a good friend, Rhyan. Enjoyed my first hostel experience and met quite a lot of people - from Australia, New Zealand, San Francisco, Edmonton and more. Surely I want to head back to the Canadian Rockies when it is summer time but there's something inherently satisfying to be out in that much cold and see the mountains be as stubborn, harsh and beautiful as they can be. Had lunch, dinner and walked along the town on my own and felt at peace. Next thing I know, I am going back to the city - only to be shown downtown Calgary just 2 hours before the flight by Rhyan. Made it back to the airport, just in the nick of time. 





Part II

A view overlooking the city of Vancouver

Safely boarded the flight to Vancouver and saw some familiar and new faces. And it's my brother, Farah, Amna and Ashif that made this trip to Vancouver special. Didn't do a lot of tourist like activities I did last year, but instead I chose to let it be and take things as they come. That meant long walks with my brother and catching up about life with a person I so deeply respect and love. That meant getting a book from Farah and realize just how much she understands what you like - because haven't read a book quite like this - in a long while. It also meant watching Netflix with these same people and hate the fact that my winter jacket started to smell like curry.  


Part III

A walk over the Brooklyn Bridge 

Came to New York and stayed with my cousins this time around. And they treated me like I deserve the best. My peasant self-enjoyed every bit of it. Be it shopping for jackets and realizing there are so many styles for a vest like jacket or that I just about bought everything in Olive green. Or maybe it was the coffee we shared after a healthy breakfast that made it special. Or maybe everything in between. 
And my little escapades to the city led to experiencing a fine museum, Guggenheim, and discuss with my dad about the architect behind the building (Frank Lloyd Wright). The conversation showed - just how much Papa loves being an Architect. Catching up with some old friends like Ishmam, Salwa and Safwan meant catching up on the daily life we all live and also discuss deeper issues that surround us and our close ones. 

Walking over the Brooklyn Bridge during the first night was more than just a walk. Much of the past year and going forward was in my head. You think of things from perspective that may distraught what reality actually is. You start to think a little too much. Almost taints your perception. But then you get distracted and notice so many tourists – like yourself – are enjoying the view in front of them and behind them. You have Brooklyn in front of you. You have the spectacular Manhattan Skyline behind you. And you catch yourself thinking – how am I here? 

New York with its endless tourists is special - even the shaky subway rides. The yellow cabs, the multi-faceted crowds everywhere, the skyscrapers, the major landmarks, Halal guys and so much more. 

Part IV

Getting drenched in rain and wet snow - while in Boston

Boston was on my radar but when I exchanged few messages with Fahrina earlier in December, I knew I just had to make a visit. So basically printing off her step by step guide and an actual guide (though used Fahrina’s guide as bible), I set out to this city and went for it. Obviously didn't check weather and next thing I know, it's heavy rainfall, extreme winds and snow fall - I mean talk about all the spices for one disastrous weather night (did I mention that I was wearing sneakers?). But dried myself off and slept quietly in my Airbnb home, knowing that I am travelling all on my own and what's life without its mishap? Woke up next morning and it was all sunny, bright and once I walked out, almost no sign of what was the night before. Another reason, to just take things as they are and let yourself be surprised. A little trip to Harvard, a walk around Chinatown to grab lunch and a bit more exploring of downtown Boston later - boarded the bus back to New York. 

Part V

Home sweet home?

Excited to head home. It's always exciting to travel and let yourself be reminded much outside your own world. But you have to go back home, whatever, wherever home is. 

Special thank you to every one of you who along the way helped and made this trip worthwhile. It was supposed to be Bali but instead I immersed myself in the harsh winter - in 4 impeccable cities. And I wouldn’t change anything about it (well, I think I would check the weather ahead of time, just saying).

No comments:

Post a Comment