Monday 29 December 2014

First Time Camping: Algonquin Park

Where do I begin? This is the very first time I went for camping and it was incredible. I am not a man of fancy words but when I say incredible, it really has all the wonders of beauty encompassed into it. The almost 3 hour drive was smooth even though there was a huge rainfall. Our spirit did get hit with the downpour but we didn’t give up for one bit. Built a tent in 3 hours which as instruction suggests should take 15 minutes. While the skeptics may deem this as a failure, I took it as a display of willingness...that takes you a long way. We cooked under the rain while holding umbrellas and that in itself was powerful. We really came together to cook and share the food and rain together. Yes I am that kind that really loves the corniness of things. I also managed to burn my tongue but that’s all right when things are going so well thus far. We did not waste any more time and swiftly headed out for the first trail.



It had a difficulty rating of 3, which means it’s one of the really difficult trails among the rest. We didn’t really think of it much except we went for the key detail that read “scenic lookout.” Well it was disaster just after 3 minutes of walking as we deviated from our trail path and dear goodness it was a long walk, uphill. I was panting, so were the rest. No it was really just me. But it was worth it. I know you heard this term “worth it” a lot, but I wish I could explain in word how meaningful this phrase was to us in that particular moment when we reached the top and got to see this so called, “scenic lookout.”



Endless amounts of trees and a wave of mist covered this view. It was truly a spectacle. We did proceed with mandatory poses in front of the view to promise our instagram crowd that it’s indeed a promising view. But aside from these fickle fun moments, we just stood by and appreciated life itself. Often times we are bogged down by our day to day problems, magnifying to the high heavens as if the world is as cruel as things can be but at that moment, all those problems just evaporated and instead it was replaced by hope and absolute wonder. Wonder for better days and less complaining. Of appreciating the good and learning from the bad.

The eagerness to go for the 2nd trail was appealing and we acted on it rather really quick. It was a less challenging uphill battle to reach the top of the bluff but as you can guess, it was worth it (I hate to confirm that you will be reading “worth it” at least once more, that is if you are reading this at all). Now as the saying goes, all good things must come to an end. Well it was proven right once again as darkness started descending upon us and well all hell broke loose. Alright maybe not as melodramatic as I am suggesting, but it did rain for hours and all the tree roots were incredibly slippery leading to, yes you guessed it right, a lot of slipping. It really didn’t help that I am tiny bit scared of darkness (a lot actually). But while it was an uncomfortable walk back to the car, it still showed resiliency on our part. We kept it together, used iphone flashlights (yes it does have more uses than instagram and instagram) to guide us and sang a song that goes by “this trail never ends.” I hate to admit but the song was not at all appropriate.



Night time!

What does one of us think is the best idea ever? The idea to make fire by using all the newspaper that Algonquin possibly has to offer. It was a cute idea but it lasted literally 3 to 4 minutes considering how quickly newspaper burn. We played around the idea of maybe starting a proper fire by buying wood and we actually went through with the idea at 10 pm. Well it wasn't really working out properly as the log was too thick to catch fire but we kept at it. And it lit. And it lit well.



Sleeping wasn't the most comfortable but honestly I wasn't really expecting a comfortable sleep. But we did sleep and that’s that. Woke up in the morning and had a quick breakfast (Jonathan cooking some delicious burgers) before we started winding up the whole tent. We really wanted to check out Track Tower, which apparently the best view of them has all but also one of the longest, so early morning seemed the perfect time.




Here’s when you know you are a newbie at camping when you take about 4 hours to do a loop that took on an average 1 hr 30 minutes for others. But the view was just.....so.....worth it. It overlooked the whole of Canada. Okay that’s me generalizing but that’s how I felt and I cannot deny that.

It was peaceful and scenic. It was the cherry on top of this already iconic journey (of my life) to relaxation.



Typing this made me realize how truly memorable this past weekend has been. On both a physical and emotional level and I cannot be grateful enough. I think what made this so special is mostly based on the people I was able to share it with. I may have been the annoying one in the group for the whole time but I was lucky to have shared it with Angelet, Jon & Sheryl. Also Jon, you were such a champ and you know why! Lastly, thankful for having experienced this.

No comments:

Post a Comment