Thursday 22 May 2014

Inspiration: Gareth Edwards



Before directing the mega-budget driven Godzilla, Gareth Edwards started out with an indie movie known as "Monsters" in 2010 with a budget of just $500000. Emphasis on the budget amount is given because Godzilla reportedly costed $160 million. Now a studio trusting a person whose track record only involved dealing with less than 1 % of that budget means a lot was a stake. But Gareth delivered as the reboot opened to a stunning $93 million in North America alone and over $100 million worldwide. I am a huge box office geek and to see this play out is simply amazing. After watching the movie the other day, I knew in my heart that Gareth is here to stay. The large scale production of that level requires hard work and dedication that can be rare in this day and age. 
Today I saw this article and knew it's really happening for him! 
Not only is Gareth already lined up for Godzilla 2 & 3 but now he has officially been signed to direct a Star Wars spin-off. This is incredibly inspiring and I really look forward to what more he brings to the table!
"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life - join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited & honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm," said Edwards in a statement

No comments:

Post a Comment