Saturday 6 August 2016

What I Talk About When I Talk About RunningWhat I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A very simple memoir (kind of) in less than 200 pages - and already in my top 3 Murakami books I have read. If you like running, bicycling, swimming, writing, or in general in pursuit of goals and activities that make you who you are, this book is for you. The sheer humility and the deliberate approach to be honest to himself - first and foremost - is what really shapes this up to be one of utter best. The language throughout is simple yet effective. You really feel the pain and uncertainties that he feels in certain parts of the book. You feel like you are there with him while he is running his incredible 62 miles run he did - and how he survived it. Barely. The revelations that come about from this book really makes you almost have an exclusive view into his mind that has created the likes of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Kafka on the Shore, A Wild Sheep Chase and more. For an author that seems so reclusive - this book certainly is a win for fans (like myself) who wants to see why they are so devoted to whatever he writes. And for good reasons. Definitely recommended.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment