Thursday 5 December 2013

Big Fish:Movie Review


I did not know what to expect with this movie. I knew that Ewan McGregor was in this movie and to be perfectly honest, I really was not his biggest fan. Just a preconceived notion that made me not watch this movie without even knowing anything about it. But for some reason, nowadays I feel like I should let go off of any kind of prior bias I had back in the days because quite frankly it is rather ludicrous to hold a grudge against anything without any substantial reasoning, and in this case my out of place disliking of Ewan.

 

Let’s just say I made a great decision to put aside my past notion regarding Ewan by watching Big Fish. I never even knew it's a Burton film until it showed in the credits. Regardless, the movie was perfection in its own eccentric way. Many of the major scenes made no sense on a surface level but the metaphorical reference/meaning of each of them were down-right beautiful and impeccable. As if I transcended into a world full of possibilities. What I took out of this movie is that we often are big fishes in this world and are meant to do great big things in life but that our current circumstances might compromise with our potentials as to what we have to offer to this world. But it also means that we have the power to prove otherwise and that we ought to go to places in life where opportunities will help reveal our deepest potentials. The movie felt a more surreal interpretation of what we all should be doing in life such as to not cheat someone, to help those in need without expecting anything in return, to not fall in the hands of greed, to not give up and finally to not forget to live a life that may be out of this world.

The strained relationship between the father and the son is something we often see on our daily lives. I am not afraid to admit that even I have been off-putting to my own father at various instances. But this movie helps us realize that it’s really never too late to fix such strained relationships. Sure there was a rather melancholic feel to the whole aspect but at the very end, the son was able to look past the disappointment he felt before and instead took a positive turn of embracing who his father truly is. It felt magical to see the son come out of his shell and accept a world which he had a hard time believing in. He finally was able to open himself to see the world not in its harshest of condition but a place where good things can happen and prevail. To see him add on to his father’s lifelong passion of story-telling by giving his own spin to it and finally setting his father free, it truly ended on a stupendously high and magical note.



I generally enjoy Burton movies a lot but this was a definite highlight to his filmography. 
9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment